Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Shaking My Head in Disbelief Yet AGAIN

Category:  News

What on this earth is it going to take for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to wake the heck up and start nominating legendary ROCK AND ROLL acts?  It almost seems as though they'll put the Bay City Rollers on the ballot before acts like Steve Miller, Linda Ronstadt, Kiss, or ELO.

Here are this year's nominees:

Paul Butterfield Blues Band (hope they make it!)
Chic (are you kidding me?  FIVE top 40 hits in their entire CAREER?  Steve Miller had more than that in two years!)
Deep Purple (I am going to go out on a limb and say they'll make it on a Joe South sympathy vote:  South, who wrote one of their biggest hits, "Hush," died last month)
Heart (they have more legitimacy than Chic!)
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts (another one-hit wonder act)
Albert King (and let's all say it together now, "You mean he's not already in???")
Kraftwerk (taking the ballot place of Miller, Ronstadt, ELO, Chicago, etc., the only reason I can think of them being nominated)
Marvelettes (ditto the Albert King remark)
The Meters (one of the founding bands of funk)
Randy Newman (mark it down now, Tuesday, October 16, 2012, that I'm predicting this:  Randy will be inducted.  Bet the ranch on it.)
N.W.A. (ah, yes, the rap & roll hall of fame....)
Procol Harum ("A Whiter Shade of Pale" is on my 100 favorites list, but one hit does not a hall of fame career make)
Public Enemy (see NWA)
Rush (whaddaya know, they're FINALLY getting around to nominating these guys, after 40 million albums sold, a documentary, and induction into Canada's music hall of fame.  I'm not a fan of the band but I sincerely hope they are inducted!)
Donna Summer (mark it down, she's in, sympathy vote)

I'm hoping Albert King, the Butterfield Blues Band, Rush, and Randy Newman make it.  I'm also hoping that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will start picking up those commercially successful but not critically well-received acts and putting them on the ballot.  As I often say, it's not a hall of "quality" or hall of "critics' darlings," it's a hall of FAME.

No comments: